Fryern Dell Project

In 2013 Storrington Conservation Society embarked on its most ambitious project the improvement of the old Fryern Hall Pleasure Grounds.

Fryern Hall in its hayday

Fryern Hall

Time Line
1795 Monkey Puzzle Tree introduced into Britain. This tree and those listed below where thought to have been planted in Fryern Dell between 1855 -1876. In most cases this would have been soon after their introduction. (Alan Mitchell -Trees of Britain and N. Europe. Collins)

1830 House bought by Charlotte Baroness dowager King who lived in it with her son, George, until her death. (Storrington Museum)

1843 Coastal Redwood introduced into Britain (Mitchell)

1853 Western Red Cedar introduced into Britain. (Mitchell)

1853 Giant Redwood introduced into Britain (Mitchell)

1855 George King dies. Fredrick (m.1854) inherits Fryern Hall. This is the time that the pleasure gardens are thought to have been developed

1861 Census records show Fredrick King (son of George) as Head of House with his wife, four children and eight ‘live in’ servants. (Storrington Museum)

1876 Map shows path network visible in pleasure grounds and river on old line to flow over whole of waterfall. Specimen trees are also marked on map. (Map – County Records Office)

1865 Katsura Tree introduced into Britain (Mitchell)

1926 Robert Maitland King (son of Fredrick) dies (Storrington Museum)

1927 Mrs Charlotte Mary King (wife of Fredrick) dies (Storrington Museum)

1928 Fryern Estate sold to Mr Carl Davis sale particulars describe it as ‘ a small residential estate of 35acres comprising charming gardens and pleasure grounds with rhodrodendron bank, tennis courts, fish ponds, walled kitchen garden and double greenhouse. The house has 13 bed and dressing rooms and 5 servants bedrooms.’ (Storrington Museum)

1940 Fryern Hall was requisitioned to house Canadian Troops (Storrington Museum)

1950 Fryern Hall sold to Mr Godfrey who opened it as a country club (Storrington Museum)

1950 -53 Pat Pickering (long serving Storrington Librarian) is last person to live in Fryern House. (Personal recollections)

1954 Executive from Lindfield Mushrooms visits Malta to recruit pickers who were housed in Fryern Hall.  (Storrington Museum)

1960’s Fryern Hall Demolished Storrington Museum

2013 Storrington Conservation Society commissions Management Plan for the remaining 5.5 acres of pleasure gardens

Comments are closed.